Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The Moment of Truth...

This was it...the time I had been waiting for. The most important of all. I was from Canada...and I´d better represent...not only that...but the Vafaie family was been known for dominating in this amongst the Dorchesterarians. We were inside...but with the outdoor hot breeze wafting in. Sweat was coming out of every crevice of my body. I stared my opponent down...as he stared at me. I was NOT about to let my family down. This was no game of...golf...or...curling...this was some true...professional Venezuelian pingpong. The paddles were not in best shape..but I would have to deal with it. Sweat was constantly falling into my eyes...making the pingpong ball look nebulous. I knew that my opponent was facing these same difficulties...but he had been trained under these conditions...and I was no longer in the Vafaies house...I was on HIS territory. Despite the fact that he had played about 10 games in a row...and was started to look tired...I still let me family down. BLAST! A bunch of the youth had taken me downtown to one of their universities where we played some volleyball and pingpong. I would just DIE going to university here...because playing even just PINGPONG will leave you sweating like you were doing 1000 meter dashes due to the excruciating heat.
About 5 of the youth here have just completed book 2...and there are still another 10 youth in the process. Our dance workshop practices are doing O...K... Attendence is very inconsistent...but I have been able to get 2 youth coming consistently and who know almost all of the step moves. We will be performing in a week in Cabudare (where Bahiyyih is now serving) for a 2 day conference. (5 hour drive for a 2 day conference!! Dios!) The youth from here are also going to perform Guita!...which is Maracaibos traditional music.
Susan is once again very excited as many of the youth are starting to show their faces in the activities again. There seemed to be some problems causing disunity amongst the youth...some of which are ´girl guy´problems...such as relationships and bunch of people going for one person...and THATS why I currently dont have a girlfriend! Unless I´m 99% sure...I´m not going to do something that could end up in two broken hearts...and most importantly...the end of a great friendship that used to be. I find that many relationships these days are for pleasure...for the instant entertainment...and not thinking about the future. Whats the point? It will end up BAD! The way I see it...a relationship is a means of getting to know the other person better...not to satisfy your sexual desires, kissing or even hugs!...you still have mommy for that! Ahem....back to Venezuela...
I have been talking more with Peter (the pioneer here) to see what it really takes to be a succesful pioneer like himself. Peter lived in America...and was drafted into the army. When in the army...they were aloud to go to school as well. Peter decided to go into an ALL blacks school! (Peter is White). Peter was the only white person in the school...but all the people were very kind to him and welcomed him. Peter taught the Faith in that school as well as became friends with everyone...showing that there truly IS NO DIFFERENCE between the races of mankind. (Cant believe the ignorance of mankind sometimes!) The army general...or something upper class told recommended him not to attend the school anymore...because it looked bad for the army having a soldier going into an all blacks school. Peter ignored the recommendation, as he saw no real problem or threat. A couple weeks later...the school kicked him out and gave him back his money...obviously a work of the army...After Peter was done with the army...he left America by a cargo ship down to Venezuela. He didnt speak spanish...he had no guaranteed job...and he was only 27 years old! In Venezuela he eventually became a professor of engineering and is now retired. The story of Peter could be made into a movie! Like...one of those movies like Remember the Titans where it shows one man uniting all these races!! haha. Its incredible! I brought some puzzles from Canada...the type wheres in like a metal ring inside a loop...and you have to take the ring out. Peter was the only one who didnt ask for help...and he tried doing that puzzle for HOURS! This taught me that I better REALLY start working on perseverance if I´m wanting to become a good pioneer in the future, as well as taking something started, out to the finish. Peter is a man who really likes to talk!...and during dinner he has taught me some good lessons. He told me about how one great philosopher said that a man has hit maturity when he has found a cause worth working for...and Looses himself in it. Meaning that unless you find something worth living for...and become selfless in it...you have not reached maturity. This makes sense...whats the point in living...in having your own pleasure...if you die in 80 years and all is forgotten? Its only worthwhile to work for a cause.
Peters Daughter just returned from studying in America. She is going to be here for a week then is going to Equador where she will visit all the people she served with during her year of service. She is really awesome and a great translator! She took me out yesturday with a bunch of the youth and we did some sightseeing downtown...and in the ´tourist´ area where they had traditional style homes of maracaibo. After walking past a security guard with a shotgun...I felt safe to pull out my camera and take some pictures.
I have had a couple youth here tell me not to ever leave!!! I found it sooo sweet! The kindness and love that the youth show for me here is just tooo much for me to handle...that i dont know...how to handle it. haha. I REALLY wish I could speak flawless spanish...although my spanish is still getting better....i wish I could have good deep conversations with them. I have gotten to the point where I can tell some jokes and have made them all crack up at times!! Thats the most SATISFYING feeling...If I dont become a doctor...I want to go into some profession where I can just make people laugh!
I´m not going to be here in Venezuela for MUCH longer...and this may be my last email before I get back...and then I may send one more to describe my whole experience! I hope you are all doing well and I miss you all!
Have a great summer,
Love,
Erfan

1 comment:

Paul J. Heidema said...

You are a credit to all those trying to make a difference out in the scary world. Erfan, you have impressed me, more than you usually do. Your genuine heart and the need for you to help and improve the lives of people around you is outstanding. I hope one day to live like you are living now and touch people's hearts as you are at this very moment. Thank you for sharing your wonderful stories.